Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chicken chorizo

I have only had chicken chorizo once and it was in an omelet on one of my very worst days but somehow I remembered that chicken chorizo.  It was a food that just stuck out in my mind in a good way and I wanted to recreate it.  Yesterday we spent most of the day down the hill.  Our cat Shadow was broken and we got her fixed but that is a different story.  ;)  While we were waiting on Shadow we went to Bass Pro Shops and hung out and drooled.  We ended up looking at sausage making equipment, books, spices and kits.  Since I was spending money getting Shadow fixed I wasn't spending money there but took full of advantage of everything we could read. 

We found out that alot of chicken sausages are made from fully cooked sausage and it oddly we had fully cooked and shredded chicken legs at home so today I got the grinder out and started grinding the chicken.  I will tell you it looks kinda funny when it comes out.  It reminded me of baby food but it tastes just like deviled chicken which I love.  So without any further rambling here is the recipe.

Chicken Chorizo ~ Jenn's way

9+ lbs. shredded dark meat chicken
heavy 1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup minced dried onions
1/8 cup minced dried garlic
1/8 cup cumin
1/8 cup paprika
1/8 cup dried cilantro
2 Tbsp kosher salt
16-20 grinds of pepper
1 heaping Tbsp tomato powder
1 cup chicken stock
3 eggs

Start by grinding your cooked chicken.  If you want you could even use a food processor for this step.  Just make sure it is all evenly ground or processed.  Then the fun starts...  throw everything in a large bowl and start combining.  This can take some time.  I mixed most of it in by hand but finished with the Kitchen Aid and the paddle attachment.   Take a small ball and flatten and cook on griddle or non stick skillet and taste.  Adjust seasoning and then shape by hand or  put into sausage casings.  We did it both ways. 

One thing to note is that there is very little fat so you are going to want to use some non stick spray to cook it.  I have two large sausages in casings that I froze but I also used it tonight on our Indian fry bread.  The chicken is very light but really does hold it's own.   Give it a try and let me know what you think.

BTW ~ I am pretty sure I saw an electric grinder that does everything except tell the meat to jump into it.  Hmmm... how to bribe Santa...  I think Jenn might just need that... 

No comments:

Post a Comment