Friday, January 7, 2011

Super Yummy Whole Wheat Waffles

I have really gotten into the whole wheat and whole grain thing.  I love the way it tastes and I really love the way whole grains fill up a teenage boy without breaking the bank.  Try these waffles!  They are light and crispy but they are hearty and filling.  It makes a great breakfast for dinner and they are quick to make.

1 3/4 cups of whole wheat flour
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
2 Tbsp flax meal
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 large eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg (freshly ground)
2 cups millk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla

Start heating up your waffle iron (mine takes forever to get hot).  Combine all ingredients and blend well.  Let the batter sit for about 10 minutes.  This is a great time to get some sausage cooking ;)  When your iron is ready pour the batter on and cook as usual.  In my waffle iron this recipe made 7 waffles.  I will be doubling the recipe next time so that I have leftovers for the boys.  I love having leftover waffles because that frees up time for me in the morning which means I can have an extra cup of coffee with some peace and quiet.

Some quick notes
*This recipe can be easily changed and adapted to suit your tastes.  The flours can be changed.  I started with an all purpose flour recipe and changed it so it worked for us.  Feel free to experiment.
**This recipe works fantastic for using your food storage.  Change the 2 large eggs into 2 Tbsp powdered egg, leave the milk out and add in 6 Tbsp instant dry milk and use 2 cups of water.
***The next step for this recipe is going to be trying it with finely chopped nuts.  I plan on adding in 1/2 cup of either almonds or pecans.  I will let you know what we think. 

After you try this please tell me what you think and what changes you made.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment