Monday, February 7, 2011

Enchilada Soup

I love enchiladas.  I think they are one of the most perfect foods in the world.  Sadly, enchiladas are time consuming to make...  I decided to try and come up with the taste of enchiladas in a quick and easy soup.  So here is my version of enchilada soup.

Jenn's Easy Enchilada Soup                                                           

*1/4 cup diced bell peppers
*1/4 cup minced onion
*1/8 cup minced garlic
*1/8 cup minced hot/mild peppers (I used Pasilla and Jalapeno)
1 29 oz. can of Enchilada sauce
4 cups of chicken broth
2 cups of shredded chicken
1 1/2 cups of rice
1/4 cup of cornmeal stirred into about 1/4 cup of water
2-4 cups of water

Combine the sauce and the broth and bring to a simmer.  Add in the rice and simmer 20-30 minutes.  Once the rice is done add in the chicken, peppers, onions and garlic.  Return soup to a simmer and slowly stir in the cornmeal.  The soup was a bit too thick for me so I added about 3 cups of water and returned to a simmer. 

Top with sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla chips or tortillas.         Serves 6-8



*I used dried peppers, onions and garlic.  About an hour before you start the soup put your dried ingredients into a bowl and covering with boiling water.  Cover with plastic wrap and let sit until softened.


Isn't this pretty?  I love all the colors.  The amazing magic that happens when you add water fascinates me.  I love how the veggies all plump up and taste just like fresh.  My favorite part of using dried ingredients is that I know I always have them on hand and I can make a fresh tasting meal. 

Look how the water makes the colors pop! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh this looks too delicious. I LOVE soups and will have to try and make this one.


    Happy Scrappin'

    Sue B

    http://susanascorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete