Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pumpkins, Pumpkins Everywhere!

I have to admit that I went overboard buying pumpkins.  Not just a little overboard but off the deep end overboard.  I have about 150 pounds of pumpkins.  Crazy right?  Lucky for me I am finding out that pumpkins are very versatile.  I knew I could can or freeze the pumpkin but what I was really looking for was some "out of the box" ideas and boy oh boy did I find some.

I started off with the basics.  I cleaned out my pumpkin and steamed it.  After it was steamed I peeled it and then mashed it.  I took about 6 cups and made pumpkin butter.  Basically, I cooked the pumpkin goop with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and a pinch of all spice until it was thick and yummy.  It took about 3 1/2 hours to get the consistency I wanted.  Then, I made pumpkin walnut muffins.  Just a basic muffin but they turned out really good.  Having covered the basics (I hate pumpkin pie) I ventured out.

First, I tried mashed pumpkin with butter, salt and pepper.  It was really very good and very filling.  After I realized that pumpkin could be savory we went a little crazy...  Pumpkin and black bean tacos.  Oh my goodness they are very good.

Pumpkin Black Bean Tacos

Diced steamed pumpkin
Black beans
cumin
garlic
onions
chili powder
pepper and salt
oil/butter

Melt butter or heat oil in large pan.  Throw everything in and fry until the pumpkin is crisp but tender.  Stuff into hard taco shells and top with salsa, cheese, sour cream.  The pumpkin reminds me a lot of fried potatoes.  This seems to best the first day so only make as much as you are going to use for one meal.  The pumpkin seems to absorb the seasoning so after you season be sure to taste and adjust accordingly.  Let me know what you think if you try this. 

Tomorrow I will have another pumpkin recipe.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I would so try this. I need to get the family on board!

    Happy Scrappin'

    Sue B
    http://susanascorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete